Sunday, August 17, 2014

Less vs. fewer

With the words "less" and "fewer" we have another common mistake in American English. The problem is easily fixed and has only to do with singular and plural nouns.

Here's the rule:

Use "less" with singular nouns, and use "fewer" with plural nouns.

That's it. I can't think of an easier way to phrase that, nor can I think of any exceptions.

Examples of singular nouns:
  time
  money
  patience
  rain

Examples of plural nouns:
  hours
  coins
  patients
  storms

I have less time now than I did when I was young.
It seems like there are fewer hours in the day to accomplish my to-do list.
She has less money than he does.
I have fewer coins in my piggy bank than I did last week.
My mom has less patience than my dad.
If my doctor had fewer patients, I wouldn't have to wait so long.
We get less rain here than they get in Washington.
There are fewer storms on this side of the mountains. 

These two words are not interchangeable. You cannot have fewer time or less hours. I've not heard anyone make the first mistake, but the second is common.

Our neighbor has less fewer flowers in her garden this year than she did last year.

 See? Good grammar doesn't have to be difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment